The deliveries of Hero Xtreme 200R have begun recently in selected north-eastern states only (Assam, West Bengal, Mizoram & Tripura) at present. The bike is priced at INR 88,000 (ex-showroom). Here are some important points one must consider before buying Hero Xtreme 200R-
- Looks & Aesthetics- The bike measures 2,062 mm in length, 778 mm in width and stands 1072 mm tall. It has a ground clearance of 165 mm and a wheelbase of 1,338 mm. The bike weighs 148 kg and has fuel tank capacity of 12.5 litres. To be honest the bike does have an aggressive front, but the rest of the bodywork isn’t sporty enough for a motorcycle in 200 cc segment. The graphics on tank are vibrant but the tank shrouds miss out on the style quotient. The bike is being offered in 5 colours – Heavy Grey with Orange, Black with Sports Red, Sports Red, Panther Black with Force Silver & Techno Blue. To some extent, Xtreme 200R lacks the naked-sports bike appeal. Also, the tail light section looks like a repetition as it is same as the Xtreme Sports. it has a small engine spoiler which doesn’t seem to be of much use!
- Digital console & lamps- The headlamp looks aggressive and has just satisfactory illumination. The Xtreme 200R gets a simple digi-analog instrument cluster which displays pretty basic yet sufficient information like rpm, speed, trips, odometer and turn-indications. The bike deserved better console and headlamps considering the strong competitors in the 200 cc segment.
- Power & Performance- The Xtreme 200R gets an air-cooled, 2 valce, SOHC, 199.6 cc engine which churns out 18.4 PS @ 8,000 rpm and a max torque of 17.1 Nm @ 6,500 rpm. Even though, Hero Motocorp has delivered highly reliable engines over the years, the power figures are such a disappointment. Brace yourself… The bike can clock a top speed of 112 kmph only! Couldn’t be sadder, could it?? The Yamaha Fazer 153 cc (version 1) clocks 118-120 kmph. I guess, we need not explain more! This makes us ask just one question to Hero Motocorp – Have you not seen the tech specs of other 200 cc bikes in the market?
- Comfort & Brakes- The braking duties are taken care by 276 mm & 220 mm discs in the front and rear. Thankfully, it does come with single-channel ABS. The bike gets diamond type frame. The suspension duties are fulfilled by 37 mm telescopic forks in front and 7-step adjustable monoshock in the rear. The suspension works fine and the ride feels nice.
The bike comes at an affordable price tag of INR 88,000 i.e. closer to the price of 150 cc motorcycles by other brands!!! The low price seems to be a fair deal as the bike is not feature rich. It might sound rude but the bike does not really have anything special to offer. To us, it looks like a failed attempt to manufacture a 200 cc motorcycle. It may not be a race machine but it will surely give you a comfortable riding experience. But, a person willing to buy a 200 cc motorcycle is someone who seeks speed & performance and the price would be a secondary factor.
We shall post a comparison of Hero Xtreme 200R with other 200 cc motorcycles soon. So, stay tuned! Meanwhile you can take a look at:
- TVS Apache RTR 200 vs KTM 200 Duke – http://ridersuniverse.com/apache-rtr-200-vs-ktm-200-duke-which-is-a-better-deal/
- KTM 200 Duke vs Bajaj Pulsar NS200 – http://ridersuniverse.com/ktm-200-duke-vs-bajaj-pulsar-ns-200/